World Day for Safety and Health at Work
Every work (skilled or unskilled) has a procedure to arrive at a finished product. However, the quality of the product is best determined by the level of compliance to the organized procedure in the provision of goods or services in a healthy and safe environment. These are documented as manuals, guidelines, or Standard Operating Procedures.
The World Day for Safety and Health at Work is an annual international campaign to promote safe, healthy and decent work. It is held on 28 April and has been observed by the international Labour Organization (ILO) since 2003.
A national occupational safety and health culture is one in which the right to a safe and healthy working environment is respected at all levels, where governments, employers and workers actively participate in securing a safe and healthy working environment through a system of defined rights, responsibilities and duties, as well as where the highest priority is accorded to the principle of prevention.
- Save the lives of your staff by providing the right equipment.
- Ensure that they are well trained on the use of the equipment.
- Service the equipment to ensure they are safe for use to avoid accidents and deaths.
- Asses your staff regularly to ascertain their physical and psychological fitness to handle the equipment to avoid disaster.
- Ensure a comprehensive health insurance for your staff and their dependants.
- Ensure that the rights, benefits and other welfare packages are provided for your staff.
- Ensure industrial harmony.
· Not use any machinery you have not been trained to use.
· Avoid the use of faulty equipment because it could lead to serious injury or death
· Use the equipment correctly and do not cut corners.
· Do not work when you are sick
· Protect the interest of the organization you work for.
· Observe universal precaution.
· Do periodic and prompt reporting because it could save your life.
· Go for periodic health checkup.
Join the campaign to promote safe, healthy and decent work. Share this news with others.