Sanitation is a global development priority. The Sustainable Development Goals, launched in 2015, include a target to ensure everyone everywhere has access to toilets by 2030.
- 2.4 billion People live without improved sanitation (World Health Organization (WHO)/UNICEF 2015).
- One in ten people has no choice but to defecate in the open (WHO/UNICEF 2015).
- Diarrhoea caused by poor sanitation and unsafe water kills 315,000 children every year (WAS-Hwatch 2016).
- Disease transmission at work mostly caused by poor sanitation and hygiene practices, causes 17% of all workplace deaths (International Labour Organization (ILO) 2003).
- Loss of productivity due to illnesses caused by lack of sanitation and poor hygiene practices is estimated to cost many countries up to 5% of GDP (Hutton 2012)
Toilet picture from:depotkitchen.com
Do not presume that only humans visit your toilet. Fumugate your toilet as often as possible to prevent attacks from insects and reptiles.
Pit toilet is one of the easiest ways of contracting toilet infections especially for females because of the harmful micro organisms generated from the pit toilet.
The use of toilet with insufficient water for flushing is very hazardous because the excreta are not adequately washed away.
Defecating into the river is one of the sure ways of water borne diseases like diarrhoea, Cholera etc. which kill both the old and young.
Some people enjoy open defecation in the bush and field because it brings them close to natural vegetation as well as the feel of cool breeze. However, it has some disadvantages: (a) Flies can perch from the excreta to the food we eat. (b) It exposes one to the risk of attack by animals and insects e.g. Snakes, Scorpions, etc. (c) Females also run the risk of adoption and rape when they go to the bush to defecate.
The correct toilet posture is number 1. Postures 2, 4 and 5 exposes ones genitalia to infections in the toilet. Postures 3, 4, 5, and 6 can lead to the collapse of the toilet and cause physical injure / death.
More importantly, always clean the toilet seat with tissue before use; especially a public toilet.
Do not use your phone in the toilet. Remember that your phone goes with you to your dining table; bed room, etc. So do not pick infections from your toilet to these places. More still, use of smart phone in the toilet could get you carried away and make use spend more time in the toilet.
Enjoy your day!