The International Rescue Committee (IRC) responds to the world’s worst humanitarian crises and helps people to survive and rebuild their lives. Founded in 1933 at the request of Albert Einstein, the IRC offers lifesaving care and life-changing assistance to people affected by war or disaster. At work today in over 40 countries and 22 U.S. cities, we restore safety, dignity and hope to millions who are uprooted and struggling to endure. The IRC leads the way from harm to home.
We are recruiting to fill the position below:
Job Title: WPE Assistant Community Mobiliser
- The IRC Women Protection and Empowerment Program is a multi-sectorial prevention and response program involving multiple organizations and actors from the IDP and NGO community, UN agencies and all sectors of IRC.
- The focus of this program is to provide good quality health and psychosocial response services to conflict-affected women and girls in Yobe, North-Eastern Nigeria in a timely manner.
- Raise awareness and promote changes in attitudes and behaviors regarding gender, gender equality and GBV.
- Promote active community participation in prevention and response to GBV.
- Develop and implement prevention strategies.
- Ensure the formation of community groups for response and prevention activities.
- Work with the WPE Trainer to facilitate Trainings and sensitizations to community groups, local partners and CBOs on GBV issues.
- Promote the involvement of men and youth in GBV activities.
- Utilize participatory methodology to assess community needs in relation to GBV.
- Utilize participatory methodology and adult education techniques to assist communities in developing community-driven prevention and response plans.
- Mobilize community to form ‘action groups’ for awareness raising and encourage greater self-reliance among women in the communities.
- In collaboration with case worker ensure that women are engaged in psychosocial activities at the women’s centers.
Planning Collaboration and Coordination:
- In collaboration with State Emergency Management Agency (SEMA) and National Emergency Management Agency (NEMA) to ensure the formation of GBV camp groups.
- In collaboration with WPE Case Worker and Trainer, Women action groups, Youth Groups, identify training needs of community members and carryout trainings in a consistent and appropriate manner.
- Liaise with community leaders, government agencies, IRC sectors, Partners to organize training and capacity building activities.
- Promote women’s active participation in the leadership and decision-making of the community.
- In collaboration with community Trainer and community members conduct security mapping in the camps to identify potential security risks areas and develop strategies to address them.
- Assist WPE Program Manager and Coordinator in strategic planning to ensure ongoing Programming.
- Compile and summarize weekly statistics to M&E Officer for monitoring purpose.
- Submit weekly narrative reports to WPE Program manager in a timely manner.
- Communicate all obstacles/Problems to WPE Program Manager for further action.
- In collaboration with other WPE Staff submit monthly activity cash projections for prevention activities in a timely Manner to program manager.
- Ensure that all liquidations are done in a timely manner with relevant supporting documentations.
- Submit all financial request to program Manager in a timely manner for onward submission to either supply chain or finance.
- Ensure that all conduct s are in line with IRC Mandatory Reporting policy.
- Follow-up on psycho-social support activities and ensure that these activities are conducted appropriately and meet the needs of purpose for which they are intended.
- Follow-up on trainings/sensitizations/meetings conducted to ensure implementation of plans.
- Carryout work with respect to IRC security concerns, protocols and established policy inclusive of ensuring the safety of IRC beneficiaries from exploitive relationships.
- Ensure working as part of a TEAM AND BE FLEXIBLE
- Avoid making false promises to beneficiaries on behalf of IRC
- Must have higher level education in Community Development
- Previous experience with community mobilization using participatory methodology.
- Good interpersonal and problem-solving skills and flexibility.
- Prefer experience with participatory /adult learning techniques
- Must possess interest and commitment to Human Rights, Gender Equality and Gender issues
- Must be enthusiastic and creative.
- Must be fluent in community language, spoken and written English. Fluency in Kanuri will be an added advantage
- Proficiency in Word and Excel required.
- Be able to work effectively in unstable, challenging, and fast-paced environments.
- Ability to keenly observe confidentiality and discretion.
- Ability to work as part of a TEAM
Monthly salary, 13th Month Salary Inclusive, Health Insurance Coverage for Family, Pension, Creche Facilities available for Women with babies under 24 Months.
Application Closing Date
10th October, 2017.
How to Apply
Interested and qualified candidates should submit their applications addressed to the “Country Director IRC” via: IRCNigeria.Recruitment@rescue.org Hand delivered application should be sent only to the IRC field office in Yobe
Note: Only shortlisted candidates will be communicated for Interview.